A Shareholder since 2007, Chad commenced his employment with Porter Scott fresh out of law school in 2001. Having litigated cases throughout Central and Northern California, Chad has trial experience in the Central Valley and Bay Area. With extensive experience in insurance defense, Chad handles a variety of complex cases, including the defense of design professionals and contractors in construction-related matters, business and commercial disputes, attorney malpractice, and general civil litigation. Within the firm, he leads the Construction team of attorneys, paralegals and staff.
With experience as a settlement conference attorney with the El Dorado County Superior Court, Chad approaches each problem with an eye towards intelligent resolution. Chad is aware that litigation is often not a client’s first choice and aims to provide reasonable and cost-efficient solutions for his clients. Where some disputes cannot be resolved at a conference table, Chad is always ready to apply his advocacy skills towards achieving results in the court room.
Prior to joining Porter Scott, Chad was stationed at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot for most of his active duty enlistment in the US Navy. In his spare time, Chad enjoys spending time with his wife and sons, snow skiing, and volunteering in the Elk Grove community. He also actively volunteers overseas in Ghana, in Myanmar, and Ecuador.
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law (J.D., 2001)
United States International University (B.A., 1998)
U.S. Navy (Active Duty 1993-1996; Reserve Duty 1996-2000)
- Honorable Discharge
- Stationed Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego
- All California State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
Professional Memberships & Awards
- BV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Northern California Super Lawyer Rising Star (2009 – 2018)
- Member, Defense Research Institute, Construction Law Committee
- Member, American Council of Engineering Companies
- Member, Sacramento Regional Builders Exchange
- Member, CLM (Claims & Litigation Management Alliance)
Presentations & Seminars
- Expert Witnesses In and Out of Court, SAGE (Surveyors, Architects, Geologists & Engineers of El Dorado County)
- Deal or No Deal: What’s That Claim Worth?
- The Art of Settlement
- The Art of Depositions: Powerful Techniques to Maximize Your Success, National Business Institute
- Served on boards of multiple non-profit organizations
- Guest Lecturer at McGeorge School of Law
- Outreach efforts in Ecuador (2012), Myanmar (2011) and Ghana/West Africa (2009 and 2014)
- Kimmel Construction v. Jo Taylor, MD [Breach of Contract, Delay Damage Claims]
- Tri-Tool v. Jamal, LLC [Quiet Title, Easement Dispute]
- Western Water Company v. Yuba County Water Agency [Breach of Contract and Equitable Claims]
- Dewald v. Cuccia [construction litigation]
- Macklin v. Americrete [product defect litigation]
- Hastings v. EZ Auto Solutions, Inc.
- Johal v. Sears [construction litigation]
- Kay v. Placer County [real property boundary dispute]
- Various Motions for Summary Judgment granted for defense clients.
- Over 100 successfully mediated disputes on behalf of clients.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Settlement Conference Attorney for El Dorado County Superior Court